History

The Inn, first conceived as the Locusts House in 1921, and run by storied Maine Guide Ed Megill as a relaxed respite amidst the woodlands of central Maine, has offered guests fine lakeside dining, warm hospitality, and attentive service for nearly a century.

 

The history of the region is steeped in the sporting legends that reflect the classic, effortless style that epitomized America’s golden age of tourism in the 1920’s; when Chris Crafts and tennis whites were a familiar site on summer afternoons. From the hunting stories of the L.L. Bean brothers who's camp sat on the mouth of Great Pond stream,  to the throngs of summer tourists who flocked from Boston, New York and Philadelphia, ‘The Belgrades’ have played a significant role in family life and the memories of visitors and residents alike for generations.